So on January 6 we traveled from Port Augusta to Coober Pedy, SA (South Australia). Coober Pedy is the ultimate opal mining town where the only businesses revolve around mining and tourism. Did I mention that Coober Pedy is in the middle of nowhere? It is off one of the only sealed roads that go through this area of Australia and thrives on selling opal jewlery to people passing through.
Here's a map to Coober Pedy. It shows how far we've come and far we still have to go.
Just to give you an idea of what the landscape looks like in the middle of Australia, here are some photos we took on the way ....

The moon was out in the middle of the day...gorgeous! I tried to get the desert and the moon together but the moon was a bit too high in the sky! Oh well... its a cool photo anyway!
Our first wild emu sighting!!!!
And here's some photos from Coober Pedy..... there's not much in the town but I was laughing at these signs. How many times do you see that in your life? ha ha!!!!!
When I went to take a shower after the pool it was pretty late and therefore dark. The showers cost 20 cents so I started my shower determined to finish in one go and not use another coin (although I did take an extra coin so I wouldn't have a re-run of Sam's shower). Unfortunately the lights in the bathrooms are also on timers and halfway through my shower the whole place goes black. So here I am thinking 'crap!'...do I get out of the shower, run naked to turn on the lights and risk running out of water time or just shower in the dark? I ended up showering in the dark until a nice lady came in towards the end and asked if I wanted the lights on! Needless to say I will check the light timers BEFORE I shower from now on!


Did I mention Coober Pedy is in the middle of nowhere? I did? Well did I mention it was HOT??? Because whoa buddy!!!!!! Was it ever hot!!!!
And we had to sleep on rocks. That's right...there is NO grass in Coober Pedy...
not even in the caravan park! Bummer...
Here's a picture of hills of dirt from the opal mining...these are everywhere you look!
Alright party people, that's it for now, but keep checking back. Our next stop is Uluru (or Ayers Rock) and there should be some awesome pictures from that!
2 comments:
love the pics. youre a better woman than me.... no sleeping on rocks for sara.
You should see their golf course!
Post a Comment