08 March 2009

Sand and Snakes

Since Sam and I live so close to the ocean, it only seems fair that I try out some of the water sports that are specific for all those beautiful waves! Since my first encounter with body surfing ended with me face planting in the sand, I was a little unsure of body boarding. After some convincing from Sam and a couple rounds watching him catch the big waves, I decided to try! It was SO much fun that Sam could barely get me out of the water...I would get washed up all the way to the beach and then would turn around and run back out! It was great exercise and I would highly recommend it next time you are out by the ocean!!!!

Big ride numero uno! I was flying along on that wave...it's so fun! Check out how high I am out of the water!

After I figured out the body surfing, catching an awesome wave.

Washing up on the beach after catching a ride in on the board

This was how big the surf was....

Sam running down the beach after a body board. Total bay watch style. Ha ha

That's my handsome man...checking out the waves

Since Sam has been absolutely slammed with Uni (college), we have had to plan in a designated date night each week. The first was my choice so I decided, since being an adult is so much work sometimes, that we would buy some candy and sparkling juice and enjoy them under a home-made fort while watching a kids movie! We had such a great time being 'kids' in our fort. Date number one was an official success! :)

I bought the sparkling juice with the real cork...not a good idea since we don;t have a corkscrew ("how do you get this off again?")

Our fort

Living out by the lake is always interesting. We are fairly far away from most other people and therefore receive some interesting visitors. So far we have just had kangaroos, wallabys, and goannas (a type of giant lizard that gets up to 6-7 feet long). The local wildlife either comes to munch on our flowers at the front of the house or to sniff out our baby bunny as a mid-day meal. On this particular occasion, our bunny brought in a very rare (and in my opinion, very cool) visitor. Right outside out front door we found a baby diamond python checking out the house. Luckily the bunny was inside with us so we didn't have any confrontations. He was pretty small and sluggish so Sam decided he would catch it...which he did, luckily with no injuries. We released the snake away from the house but 5 minutes later he was right back on the porch. Apparently he thought Sam's bike pump was his.....

Sam with our late night visitor

He climbed back on the bike pump and refused to be caught again...

Even though our encounter was an adrenaline booster, I was very grateful for the opportunity to see such an amazing animal. To see diamond pythons is extremely rare and so it is really amazing that we found one so close to the house. It really made me appreciate the beauty of all Heavenly Father's creatures. It really makes me reflect and appreciate the ingenious creativity of all of God's creations and I feel truly blessed that I was able to experience one of His most amazing creatures up close and personal.

3 comments:

Desi said...

How FUN!!!! I love the pictures of your adventures!!! Creative dating is super important to keep some adventure in a relationship stressed for time.... :) What's Sam studying? I love your "fort"! We just bought a new couch and Rick had to check all of the cushions on the couches we were trying to see if they were fort-worthy or not... :)

Sara W said...

I have to say AWESOME to all of the items mentioned in this blog. :) FUN TIMES!

The Waltz's said...

Oh my gosh! That's amazing, get some pics of the other wildlife visitors if you can, I'm dying to see that kind of stuff! Body surfing is so fun! I'm so glad your having a blast. PS: your fort rocks. You should see the pics of us playing dress up with our kids...being a kid ROCKS!