SOOOO....
You are probably wondering why there is a large dead buffalo at the top of this post! (that's right...I said buffalo. Water buffalo to be exact...we have them EVERYWHERE up here) Well that large dead buffalo is there because that was what Sam wanted to do for his birthday! He wanted to go out hunting with his Aboriginal teaching assistant, Stanley, and our good friend from Katherine, Steve.
So they did.
And this is what happened.....
I'm not sure I really like hunting but uhh...as long as Sam had fun (which he did), well....
Happy birthday Sam! :)
Steve...he's in the Air Force and likes guns...perfect person to go shoot things with!
So to tell you the whole story...Steve wanted to shoot a buffalo so of course he brought the biggest gun he had. It seems to have worked quite well....
Anyway, Steve got to keep the horns as a trophy.
They also ran down a wild cow (seriously...we have the most random things up here in the NT). Anyway, cows have probably been escaping cattle stations for ages and since there really aren't very many predators (only dingos...which are just dogs) poof! Instant beef for anyone game enough to go out and find them. I didn't post any of the pictures on here because they are a bit gory but I will tell you that Stanley and the Aboriginal boys that went along, chopped that cow up right there on the spot, put it on the top of Stanley's truck and hauled it back to Beswick where it was subsequently divvied out to several different families.... we even have a huge chunk in our freezer! (Steak anyone?)
The kids here learn to expertly butcher a cow by the time they are 10...no joke. It is something else when you see a kid expertly wielding a knife that is almost as big as he is...crazy!
Anyway, while they were out collecting meat, Stanley took Sam and Steve out the Black Rock...another gorgeous oasis in the middle of nowhere! I didn't go on this hunting trip but I wouldn't mind going out to Black Rock...it looks incredible!
Sam and some of his senior boys out enjoying the water. I usually don't out pictures of the boys on here because of traditional Aboriginal beliefs...but I figure the boys are too small in this picture to be easily identified.....hopefully....
Sam did the hunting thing the weekend before his birthday. When his birthday rolled around the following Thursday, we rounded up some of the kids from community and had a little party under the house.The boys played music, sang songs and ate cake...it was a lot of fun!
The birthday boy and his little angel
How cute is she all dressed up for daddy's birthday? :)


And finally, the week ended with a motor biking lesson for me and another teacher from school, Jasmine. We had a lot of fun and laughs!
Jasmine having a go....she's out to get her bike licence...just a couple more practices...lol
ME! Pretend you don;t notice my highwater pants...lol. I have the proper pants but no shoes to go with them...hmmm...stylish
And in true Parker form, Sam took Grace out for a little spin
(don't worry...I could walk faster than they were riding! lol)

And that's the end of another crazy week in Beswick! :)
I wish I could post more pictures of the gorgeous kids and people in Beswick but I must resist in order to show respect for the Aboriginal people...
but if you come visit us, we have a whole folder full of pictures to check out....
does that help give you incentive to come visit? Come on people!!!! Come visit!!!
We like company! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment